Montreal Teachers Association
4260 Girouard Avenue
Suite 200
Montréal, QC H4A 3C9

Tel: 514 487-4580
Fax: 514 487-1678


1. Sick Leave

I am a new teacher in my first year. How many sick days do I have?

Any teacher who signs a first 100% contract receives 6 days to cover illness during that school year, all of which are moneyable at the end of the school year if not used, and a one-time-only extra 6 non-moneyable days. Teachers signing part-time contracts get the appropriate proportion of these days.

2. Salary Insurance

What is salary insurance, and when do I start to collect it?

Salary insurance covers you when you are sick. Starting on Day 6 of a period of illness, a teacher no longer uses up his/her bank of days, since s/he automatically receives 75% of salary by virtue of the salary insurance provisions of our collective agreement.

How much am I paid when I'm on salary insurance?

75% of salary the first year and 66 2/3% for the second year.

3. Long-Term Disability

What's the difference between long-term disability and salary insurance?

Long-term disability insurance covers absences of longer than 2 years duration (the first two years are covered by the salary insurance).

How much am I paid when I'm on long-term disability?

The benefit payable is 50% of the salary you would have earned if you were working. This benefit is non-taxable and is therefore worth more than 50% of salary would be.

4. Group Insurance

What company are we insured with?

Industrial Alliance (514 499-3800)

Is my group insurance compulsory?

Health, dental and long-term disability insurance are compulsory, unless you have health and dental coverage already because of a spousal plan, in which case you can be exempted from these plans. Long-term disability insurance is not compulsory for part-time teachers. Dental insurance is not available to part-time Adult and Vocational Education teachers.

Life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) are not compulsary.

What is our policy number and division number?

Our policy number is 97001 and our division number is 070.

5. Special Leave Days

What exactly are special leave days?

Each 100% teacher is entitled to 8 special leave days to be used for the following: death in the family, teacher's marriage, christening, baptism or brith, religious holidays, teacher's, spouse's or child's university graduation, medical or dental appointment, unavoidable circumstance, change of residence, serious illness of a spouse, child, parent or person domiciled in the home of the teacher, and personal business.

6. Parental Rights

How many weeks am I entitled to for maternity and parental leave?

You are entitled to up to 50 paid weeks, 21 of these at approximately 89% of salary, 4 weeks at 70% of salary, and 25 weeks at 55% of salary. There are also various extensions that go beyond 50 weeks, buth without pay.

For more information, please see the QPAT Parental Rights Booklet.


7. Student Teaching Funds

I heard that you get money if you have a student teacher. Exactly how much do you receive?

A cooperating or assisting teacher receives approximately $500 for each student teacher.

What happens to these funds?

They are paid to the teacher.

8. PIC

I'm a new teacher and I heard there were funds available for conferences. Is this true?

Yes, it's definitely true. The Professional Improvement Committee (PIC) approves requests for funds for professional development, i.e., to attend conferences related to your assignment.

Who is eligible to apply for funds?

Any teacher under contract (full-time, part-time or substitute), as well as hourly-paid teachers in adult education or vocational training who have an assignment of at least 150 hours per semester.

Is there a maximum per year?

Yes. The maximum amount a teacher may be granted is $1,300 per year.

Does PIC pay for courses?

Yes. PIC pays $250 per every three-credit course. You must send in an official transcript from the University in order to be reimbursed.

9. Tenure

When do I obtain my tenure?

You get tenure when you have completed two full years of service with the Board under regular contract. A regular contract is a contract that is tacitly renewable. (The contact says "Fulltime" at the top of it and is followed by a regular contract explanation letter.) If, in that second year, you have not been non-reengaged by the School Board by June 1st, you can break out the champagne!